Saturday, July 02, 2005

Freezer Blues


Wouldn't you know, just when we're getting ready to leave for vacation next week, the freezer starts doing really strange things. Every time it clicks on, it trips the ground fault interrupter. In a way that's good because none of the outlets in the master bathroom work when that happens. At least we know to go reset the GFI and so far we haven't lost much. But it's very annoying at 5:00 AM when I'm trying to get ready for work. I certainly don't want to come back from New Mexico to a dead freezer full of rotten meat.

I suppose I shouldn't complain. The freezer is at least 25 years old. It came with me from Illinois in '92 and has been well used. I no longer have a large garden with which to stock it, but when my son was growing up and he routinely had his friends over, it was very handy to have large quantities of food on hand. I've also gotten used to the convenience of bulk purchases of meat and there's no way it'll fit in the fridge.

The problem this morning was, what to do with all that food while I'm waiting for the new freezer to be delivered. Somewhere in the attic are two large picnic coolers. But where? I did manage to find a small cooler and three Styrofoam shipping boxes. As Luke Skywalker said, "Almost there, almost there." My last resort was a cardboard box lined with packing peanuts, plastic and ice packs. Then came the boxes of steaks, crab legs and lobster tails topped with more plastic and a layer of ice. Since everything is already frozen, it should be okay. (Please, please please!)

Now, who said blonds are dumb? I just hope Home Depot delivery is on time. And, "Oh what a relief it is," to never defrost that dinosaur again. If we're lucky, this one will last 25 years, and then I'll be too old to worry about it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home