Friday, June 24, 2005

Laments











Why is it some mornings you get up, and feel like you shouldn't have? Every day that I drag my butt out of bed at 5:00 AM (more or less) convinces me I need to retire. I'm a writer, not just another anonymous number sitting at a desk pounding away at the keyboard in a 9x9 cubicle.

I've said for years it's who you know and who you blow around here that counts. Since I refuse to prostitute myself,I will never be one of the "boys". Once an estimator always an estimator. In spite of what the so-called experts say, the Glass ceiling still exists in the workplace.

If someone were to keel over dead at their desk, management might have the courtesy to kick the body out of the way before hiring a replacement. Notice I said might. More than likely, they would become a floor mat for the next guy to walk on.

Don't get me wrong, I really do like my job. It's just that I've become jaded after sooo many years of doing the same thing. And I really, really do want to retire before I drop dead at my desk. Besides that, I'm just out of synch with humanity this morning.

5 Comments:

Blogger Duke_of_Earle said...

Do you list an email address anywhere? I haven't found it yet, if you do. My blog address is: http://cherishauthor.blogspot.com

Hope that helps.

John

Blogger Karyn Lyndon said...

Be careful what you write... Maybe you should come work for me. Let's talk.

Blogger Duke_of_Earle said...

Dang, Karyn, are you hiring?

Since you and I both read Nankin's blog, maybe we should hook her up with Lantz. Then all three of us can comiserate together about NOT getting published! (Kidding -- just kidding.)

Yeah, Nan, I keep dreaming about retiring and just writing best-selling fiction for the next 15-20 years. Unfortunately I'm addicted to eating, and the day job still pays all the bills.

Some day. Maybe...

Blogger Nankin said...

Amen brother!

Blogger Karyn Lyndon said...

Yes, I have an opening for a copywriter AS WE SPEAK and I'm tired of doing her work!

Post a Comment

<< Home