Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Teacher! Teacher!

Here I am once again having to train someone to do estimating. I can't even remember how many people I've trained over the last thirty-one years. One guy quit after only one day on the job. He simply left and never came back. I guess the pressure was too much for him.

It's not really a hard job, but it takes a certain personality to make it work. You need a mind for details, perseverance and sometimes downright obstinacy. You also have to be able to admit you don't know the answer and will get back to the caller. And if you screwup ADMIT it. Excuses don't go over well with these construction guys in the field.

I purposely didn't go into teaching as my farther wanted me to because I don't like it. I can be the most patient person in the world if need be, but I'm not a teacher. And here I am teaching a woman I really don't like being around to be an estimator. With less than eight hours on the job, she's come up with all these "wonderful" ideas to change it.

At least learn the job before you start trying to change it. There are reasons why things are done the way they are. Some of it might not make sense, but it still has to be done. If it gets the job done and it's the way the boss wants it, JUST DO IT! There's no use getting your panties in a wad, because all it'll do is give you diaper rash.

2 Comments:

Blogger Karyn Lyndon said...

You must impart your vast knowledge to future generations in order to sustain the circle of (corporate) life!

Blogger DBFrank said...

Estimating ... been there, done that...

Post a Comment

<< Home