Monday, July 18, 2005

Vacation


I always feel so sad to come back to work after vacation. Our week in Glorieta, NM was glorious (I know, bad pun). I tried to keep a log of each day's events. This is a picture of the main auditorium where we sang every morning for 10:30 worship.

Sunday, 7/10. I’ve decided since I can’t make regular post this week while we’re in Glorieta for Music Camp, I would keep a log and post to Nankin’s Wandering whenever possible. This place doesn’t have a whole lot of Internet access, so I may wind up with the entire week at once.

We left McKinney yesterday afternoon around 3:30 and drove as far as Amarillo. It was an easy drive, if long. It takes longer to get out of Texas than it does for the rest of the trip.

In Las Vegas, NM, we stopped for lunch at the Plaza Hotel. Built in 1882, it’s all very Victorian and quite lovely. I certainly didn’t expect to find such a unique place. The food was actually very good. The hotel was the height of luxury in it’s time. Of course you have to remember there isn’t a whole lot of anything in the area.


From there it took about another hour to reach Glorietta. Jimbob is taking a nap while I’m doing this. He talked me into signing up for the Oratorio Choir which I hope isn’t a mistake. We're supposed to sing John Rutter's "Requiem". Even though I read music, I still have to hear my part. In other words, I sing whatever the person next to me sings.

This is Jimbob’s eleventh year and my fourth to take part in the Music camp. His mother used to come with him before we married. As much as we’d both like to have her along, she isn’t physically able to make the trip. At 89, she does remarkably well…but sad as it is, she’s slowing down.

Kick-off for the week will be this evening after dinner. There’s always plenty to keep you busy no matter your interests. Since Jimbob is a music minister, he plans to attend as many functions as possible. He doesn’t know it yet, but I brought seven books and three screenplays to read. That doesn’t include the time I’ll be working on my writing. Now, that’s my idea of fun.

Ta, ta from New Mexico.

1 Comments:

Blogger Karyn Lyndon said...

Music camp! That sounds like sooooo much fun. Why aren't you in the Pentones?

Post a Comment

<< Home