Friday, July 22, 2005

Wait Haters?

Have any of you heard Volvo's new commercial about people hating to wait? Their implication is that it's too long to wait even 30 seconds for the microwave to do its thing, therefore you should run out and buy their year end models RIGHT NOW. No wonder our nation is filled with so many individuals seeking instant gratification.

Oh well, this will be my last post regarding Glorieta. Thursday, Friday and Saturday were such a blur that I will cover them all at once.


Thursday, 7/14. Morning choir rehearsal started for us at 9:00 for the 10:30 worship. Unfortunately I can't remember a word about the sermon, even though I know Dr. Caner was his usual straight forward, funny type of guy. That's really not a contradiction. For a man with several doctorates, he's the most down to earth preacher I've ever met. Besides, a lot more can be said with humor than beating the congregation over the head.

We rushed to lunch at 12:30 (they fed us VERY WELL), then rushed back for the Requiem rehearsal at 1:00. This ended sometime around 4:00. Jimbob was exhausted so he went back to our room to nap while I read.

Dinner at 6:00 and then we returned for a warm-up session. Everyone was nervous because we'd had so little time to practice. John Rutter is not the easiest composer to sing. The performance was at 7:30. I didn't feel like it went particularly well, but I seemed to be in the minority. I was just glad to get through it.



Friday, 7/15. On the road again. We decided to drive into Santa Fe before heading home to Texas. I had picked up a brochure for an art museum called The Awakening and since we both enjoy that kind of stuff, we made this our first stop. It turns out the entire room (about 30'x30') was the exhibit. It took awhile to digest.

We walked the square with the rest of the tourist before going to lunch and ran into this character lolling in the doorway of a jewelry shop. At first we thought it was stuffed. He was nearly as long as the door was wide and not about to move. People coming and going had to step over. Talk about thinking you own the world.


It was then time to climb on our hobby horse and hit the trail to Amarillo.


Saturday, 7/16. McKinney, here we come. But first we had to make a small detour. Jimbob had spotted a horse farm the previous Saturday on our way out of of town. He's had horses all his life and the last one died nearly 3 years ago on Labor Day. The poor old guy was 30 plus years old and followed you around like a very large puppy. Nothing to do, but we had to stop and checkout the pretty horses.

Jimbob is in love. He found two horses, a mother and daughter, he fell in love with. The owner thinks he's going to sell them because they aren't working out for his grandkids. (Or the kids aren't working out for the horses.) I've never owned a horse. EVER! The last time I rode was at least 15 years ago at a dude ranch in Arizona. I din't exactly dazzle the riding world with my expertise. Unfortunately, they brought me the tallest horse in the corral. I had to stand on the raised porch to get my foot in the stirrup. We won't even talk about having to remount in the field.

If Jimbob has his way, it won't be long before I'm out there yelling, Yee Haw! As the song goes, "Whatever will be, will be..." It might even be fun.

4 Comments:

Blogger Duke_of_Earle said...

So what's wrong with hollering, "Yee HAW!" Many of us do it all the time.

John

Blogger Nankin said...

John:
Not a thing as long as my horse doesn't blot at the sound of my lovely voice screeching YEW HAW.

Blogger N6FFU said...

Blot? You're voice breaks ink bottles?????

Blogger Nankin said...

Okay, okay, that was supposed to be "bolts at the sound of my voice." I can't help it if my fingers are blind.

Post a Comment

<< Home