Friday, February 20, 2009

Author, Author

I’ve been doing a lot of reading recently to make up for all the years I didn’t have time for when my kids were at home. Being an aspiring novelist has turned into a curse rather than a blessing. I read for writing skills as well as content and often get bogged down rewriting their story in my head.

One thing I’ve discovered is that even though writer may have be “an award winning journalist”, it doesn’t mean that they can write a good novel. It just means that they were a good journalist.

I just finished reading a book by one of these people and I swear he/she has never heard of POV or showing instead of telling. There was also way too much author intrusion. And this is an acclaimed writer.

I can only conclude that “established” authors are not subject to the same stringent guidelines that we novices get our feet held to the fire for. Of course, if you know someone or have made a name for yourself in another area, it doesn’t matter whether you can write or not. I’ve seen this firsthand recently and wonder who he/she had to blow to break into print.

Am I being a little sour grapes? Maybe. But then I remember that I want to get published for my writing merits, not because I have contacts in the right places. A little altruistic, too.

3 Comments:

Blogger Hale McKay said...

I have recently been flirting with the idea to get my short stories published. I've been checking out the on-line publishers and talked to other bloggers who have published - and it has been encouraging.

I agree with you that established authors are given a lot leeway in a lot of areas.

Good luck.

Blogger Duke_of_Earle said...

Nan,

At the risk of sounding very cynical, it's all about money. Publishers want to print a work by someone with name recognition. Why? Because the buying public will think, "Oh, I've heard of him/her. And the cover says he's an 'Award Winner.' MUST be good. I'll buy a copy." And when it's marketed beside a copy of something by an unknown person (like you or me), well, we need to be on Oprah!

John

Blogger Big Dave T said...

I think the writing industry is much like the acting industry. There are actors who are there just because they have contacts, not because they are good actors. Schwarzenegger comes to mind.

I think there is a degree of persistence required in becoming published. Many would-be writers give up too easily. Even many of the best, well known writers of today were rejected at one time or another.

Post a Comment

<< Home