Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Home Improvement


I went home last night to discover that my garbage disposal had kicked the bucket. Instead of going gerrrrr, grumble, roar, it now simply whines plaintively. Okay, I know you guys out there are saying HIT THE RESET BUTTON. And for your information, I did. About ten times.

Nothing doing. So I made sure it was OFF, (not all blonds are dumb) then stuck my hand down in there to see if something was blocking it. If your house is like mine, silverware has a tendency to slip unnoticed into the jaws of danger. (And Jimbob hasn't a clue as to what to do.) Anyway, after pulling out the carcass of Sunday's Chinese take-out, I came up with a large chunk of metal. It was very dull, crusty and decidedly
BROKEN. No it wasn't a fork. Try one of the blades from the disposal.


I have to tell you my idea of hell is to die and be reincarnated as a plumber, No offense to those of you who make a living doing plumbing, but I've fixed our toilets, more times than I can count. And each time gets worse. Anyone who designs bathrooms with the toilet area barely two inches wider than the tank should be shot. I can't imagine crawling under the sink is going to be any more pleasant.

Nevertheless, I'll be stopping at Home Depot on my way home this afternoon looking for the latest and greatest in garbage disposals. Maybe if this goes okay, I'll tackle that piece of sh_t dishwasher that runs only sporadically. I've narrowed the problem down to the timer, but haven't gotten up the nerve to tear it apart yet.

1 Comments:

Blogger Karyn Lyndon said...

I admire your willingness to try fixing it yourself. I can reset the disposal but that's about it.

Post a Comment

<< Home