Sunday, September 28, 2008

We're Home

Well, our news in Philly wasn't very good. Jimbob had assumed that they would apply the radiation plaque to the back of his eye again and everything would be back to normal. As much as he's wanted to deny it, the doctor told him the first time that he would eventually lose sight because the tumor was so close to the optic nerve. But that wasn't the way things went.
The tumor has nearly doubled since it was first discovered. At least he had another year and a half reprieve after his first treatment. The doctor in Philly recommended that his eye be removed to avoid 1. The possible return of the tumor...again. 2. Spread of the cancer to his brain if the radiation didn't kill all the cells.
My feeling is that there really isn't any choice here. I know it bothers Jimbob to think he'll go through the remainder of his life with an artificial eye, but compared to brain cancer... After discussing our next course of treatment, we decided to have the surgery done in Dallas versus Philly. It would only be day surgery (can you imagine?) and then the next day we'd be on the plane home.

That was Monday, so Tuesday we went sight seeing before coming home on Wednesday. The more I thought about it, it would have been really difficult for him to spend 4 hours on a plane the day after having his eye removed. Not to mention the hassle of me trying to deal with 4 bags by myself.

Tomorrow we see the surgeon who will remove his eyes. The same doctor will also fit him with the artificial eye. Supposedly he's an artist with what he does. Prayers are in order if anyone cares to take the time.


We saw the Liberty Bell


This is the church where John Adams attended.


And this is George Washinton's church.


2 Comments:

Blogger Big Dave T said...

I know it's little comfort but one one is better than none. And if it effects a cure, I'd go for it in a heartbeat. I've seen too many folks my age lose their battle to cancer. Gotta fight it any way you can.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with Dave. I'm so sorry to hear that, but yes, it is better to remove the eye. Bless you both.

--Deb

Post a Comment

<< Home