Tuesday, November 29, 2005

CONUNDRUM

How many of you out there have read anything by CS Lewis? Our Monday night Bible study group is reading “Mere Christianity.” I’m having a really hard time getting anything beneficial from it.

Not that CS Lewis didn’t have anything to say, I just have a very difficult time deciphering what he is trying to say.

I’m a reasonably intelligent woman, read extensively, attend church regularly but my brain apparently functions on a different wave length than his did.

If you want to jump out the attic window, why is it necessary to first jump off the roof, run around the block 4, 5, maybe 6 times, wiggle in through the basement crawlspace, run up the stairs, and twirl about until you‘re falling down drunk ? Then, and only then can you leap from the intended window, if the wind is in the right direction, the atmospheric pressure is just so and you haven’t changed your mind.

What am I missing here? Perhaps someone can please clarify for me.

4 Comments:

Blogger Duke_of_Earle said...

Gee, Nan, I guess all I ever read of Lewis was The Chronicles of Narnia. And I got PLENTY of Christian symbolism and philosophy from those works. Sorry.

But, wiggling through that crawl space sounds like fun!

John

Blogger total said...

Maybe he was getting paid by the word -- HA!

Blogger Nankin said...

Mark, I don't know of many people who can write a paragraph a page and a half long.

Blogger DBFrank said...

Lewis's words were crafted in a world different than ours.
Plus, he was British.
Try his book "The ScrewTape letters"
I think you'll see his genius more from that one book than so many of his others.
And it will definitely make you think.

Post a Comment

<< Home