Thursday, December 29, 2005

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

I want to take time to wish everyone a happy and healthy New Year. Jimbob and I are off tomorrow headed to Galveston. This may be my last blog for the next week. I’m not sure whether I’ll have internet service or not. I’ll miss reading what’s happening in your lives as well.

I left California more years ago than I want to tell, but the one thing I miss is the ocean. The gulf coast isn’t exactly the Pacific, but at least it’s wet. I know, no frolicking in the waves because it’s too cold, but it’s wet.

I once freaked out a native Chicagoan when I said that Lake Michigan stinks. It has nothing of that wonderful sea breeze you get on Malibu, Marina Del Ray, Pismo Beach, Redondo Beach… By now it’s probably all houses anyway.

Maybe the gulf won’t have that salty tang to the air, but it’s wet. I haven’t seen a sandy beach in so long I can’t remember what it was like to go walking just out of reach of the lapping waves.

Oh to camp on the beach at Carpentaria again and listen to the tide shushing over the smooth sand, bringing treasures from foreign shores. I long to hear the mournful cry of the harbor buoys and the distant bell of warning as they ride the gentle swells of the ocean.

Okay, enough of that nostalgia stuff. Tomorrow bright and early, or as soon as I can get Jimbob on the move, we’re headed down highway 45, past Houston to Galveston and the ocean. It’s not the Pacific, but at least it’s wet.

5 Comments:

Blogger Duke_of_Earle said...

Nan,

Have a great time. And a great weekend. And yes, it is indeed wet!

John

Blogger Deb said...

Have a safe trip! Being a Texas also, I've been to Galveston many times too.

You might want to try Rockport, TX some time. It's a small fishing/tourist town, and has it's own "blue water" beach. It's the cleanest beach I've ever seen in Texas, and I've seen all of them :).

Okay, I admit. . .I'm jealous. I've alwas wanted to vist California, but never had a chance.

Thanks for visiting my blog!
Happy New Year to you too!

Blogger the many Bs said...

You have a great time. I used to live in So. Calif. also (San Clemente) and I know EXACTLY what you mean about missing the ocean. I love that ocean and those beaches. It was heaven.

Have a happy new year!

Blogger Big Dave T said...

Hope you have/had a nice time at the gulf. We actually journey to Lake Michigan each summer. It can be very beautiful in isolated spots. And no sharks, jellyfish or sea urchins. But I prefer the sounds, sights and smells of the ocean surf too.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome back, and I hope you're thoroughly refreshed.

Post a Comment

<< Home