Thursday, December 08, 2005

I HATE COLD

I could never be an eskimo. I hate being cold. I grew up in California and moved to Illinois when I was 27 (oh to be 27 again). Everyone told me I’d adapt to the cold winters. WRONG!!!

I lived in the Chicago area 18 years and never adapted. So when I was asked if I wanted to move to TX, I asked if they wanted me to tap-dance all the way there. Warm weather here I come!

So, is it any warmer in Dallas? Well…most of the time. Illinois had some 100 degree days and 100 % humidity and it wasn’t even raining. Texas has lots of 100 degree days, but the humidity is only around 30-40%. After all, we do live in a desert.

Am I in hog heaven, or what? Sort of. In the summer I come to work and shiver all day because the air conditioning is cranked to maximum. During the winter the heat is turned to nonexistent. The theory is that the 4500 bodies in the building will provide sufficient warmth to keep the water pipes from bursting.

Great theory. I wonder who the yahoo was who came up with that bit of silliness. Problem is, Texas weather is rather unpredictable. Last Saturday we had 86 degrees and this morning…17, with icy roads.

Okay, I dragged out my genuine fake raccoon coat from Chicago, warmed the car and tottled along the great white highway at an amazing 30-40 mph.

Surprising enough there weren’t any idiots in their four-wheelers driving like maniacs. I’ve seen these guys who think a four-wheeler can go anywhere. And they do…flying into a ditch, field or opposing lanes because there ain’t no traction on ICE!


It was relatively warmer in the office, but I’m a desk jockey and cold-blooded. I don’t work up a sweat…and I’m frigging cold. My hands are like chunks of ice. I have my trusty little fleece blanket wrapped around me and a heating pad on my back to generate warmth. Next, out comes the gloves and the genuine fake raccoon coat.

You’d think they’d get the message…but noooooo. Yes, I know it takes time to heat a building this size, but the other end of the building is cozy warm. What, are they just hogging it all?

I get really crabby when I'm COLD!

2 Comments:

Blogger Duke_of_Earle said...

17? As in SEVENTEEN?? Degrees? ARRGGGHH! Here in Victoria, TX, it's all the way up to 35! Move to the coast, that'll help some.

But about that coat... How many fake raccoons gave their lives for that thing? Does that bother you?

John

Anonymous Anonymous said...

We had weather yesterday that was 11, and were told it would warm up to 14. Little did we know it would get up to 27! My wife walked outside and said "It's not cold out anymore." I love the cold, but always have, and fully understand how someone may hate it.

For me, there's nothing worse than breaking a sweat when you blink.

Post a Comment

<< Home