Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Happy Birthday Mom

Yesterday was my mother's 88 the birthday. Considering she had a major stroke in '95 and wasn't expected to live that's something to crow about. (That's her on the left.)

Unfortunately her world has narrowed considerably in the past few years. She lives in a senior's apartment where she has many opportunities to socialize with other adults, but she wants nothing to do with those old people as she puts it. She could have community meals if she wanted, but again, no way, no how.

This puts a real burden on my sister who lives 20 miles away. Mom expects Joan to drop everything when she calls. And if Joan doesn't come running she hears about it for a good month. If Mom just had some friends, it would help.

As I started to say, I called her on my way home from work to wish her Happy Brithday. After we say hi, how are you, there's not a whole lot more to say. I'm not exactly Chatty Cathy so it's very difficult to talk about nothing. And Mom is even worse, but at least I called.

3 Comments:

Blogger Duke_of_Earle said...

Nan,

I understand. Carol's Mom is 82 and a lot like that. She lives about one mile from us in an "independent living" community, but has few people she ever talks to there. At least it's not too difficult for Carol (an only child) to drop everything and go when Mom calls.

My mom (89) lives with my one sibling (sister) in Maryland. Still sharp as a tack, but not too mobile.

Anyway, good for you for calling!

John

Blogger Big Dave T said...

My mother-in-law lived in a senior citizen's high rise for many years but never wanted to socialize either. She preferred family much more. It does put a burden on the so-called sandwich generation.

Blogger Deb said...

Happy B-day to your mom!

Post a Comment

<< Home