Sunday, October 01, 2006

Pilates Who?

I looked in the mirror the other day and decided it was time to go back to working out 2-3 times a week. Gravity is winning, and it ain't pretty. A couple of years back I lost 32 pounds and I was so proud of myself but Jimbob never even noticed. So I just gave up.

Now it's time to do this for me. Unfortunately I found muscles I'd forgotten about. Last Tuesday was just a general workout, Wednesday morning I spent 30 minutes on the treadmill. Then Friday rolled around and at the suggestion of one of the trainers, I dressed my fat butt in shorts and went to the Pilates class.

Once I sat down in front of the full length mirror and really looked at myself, I wondered what took me so long. That's when the instructor came in, turned on soothing music and proceeded to put us through contortions, gyrations and deep breathing exercises. It was all done very slowly with no impact training and no equipment except the floor mat.

OMG, let me tell you. I actually got light headed a couple of times from all that "Breathing" and I'm not sure the human body (especially at my age) was meant to do this kind of "stretching". And I fully intend to go back next Friday. I guess I"m just a glutton for punishment.

1 Comments:

Blogger Dust-bunny said...

Hi! My name is Lisa, and I saw your funny comment about retiring on Big Dave's blog.

Good for you for going back to working out! I have heard that Pilates is excellent for getting your stomach in shape! I'm trying a yoga class tonight, and I hope I like it. Someone said the two are kind of similar, but I tend to think Pilates will get your muscles built up faster.

Good luck to you, and enjoy your "me" time!

Take good care,
Lisa

Post a Comment

<< Home