Thursday, October 05, 2006

Sink Repairs

I remember now why I don’t like doing plumbing around the house, or any where else for that matter. I decided the other day that we needed to replace the two sink faucets in the master bath because, they’re not only 15 years old, but the so-called gold finish is separating from the faucet and trapping all sorts of icky stuff.

Talk about sticker shock when I went to Home Depot to pick out new ones. I finally settled on a modest model for $90.00 each. Add tax and all that other shit, there went a cool $200 down the drain (pun intended).

The salesman told me everything I needed was included in the package so at least that was some consolation. What he didn’t take into account was that the builder’s typical “cheapest available fixtures” aren’t compatible with anything on the market now. I had to get Handyman Doug to cut the copper pipe to the old faucet because they were permanently attached. No connectors, no flexible coupling, no go to jail, do not collect $200.00, no kiss my butt…NOTHING!

Now I have to go back to Home Depot with my list of things I need to finish the job. And I just love having to crawl under the sink to get to all the little nuts and blots holding the faucet in place. I discovered that one of the sinks is so thin in places you can see light right through it. It’s a good thing we’ve never dropped anything heavy in it.

At least it’s better than having to replace the flush valve on the toilet. They only give you about 6” inches to get your hands in there and of course the toilet bowl is right there up front and personal. I’ve hugged the toilet bowl a few times in my youth after too much too drink, but it’s still not my favorite security blanket.

Well, anway, one down (sort of) and one to go.

3 Comments:

Blogger N6FFU said...

OK Nanc - Now you've gone and done it.... You not only noticed that the sink is a bit on the thin side, you actually had the intestinal fortitude - or is that the lack of good judgement - to come right out and comment on it. No doubt about it - - it's just a matter of time (short as it may be) until you drop something heavy....

On the serious side, I would rather have several teeth pulled without Novocaine than tackle a plumbing repair. No matter how "simple" it starts out it NEVER ends up that way! Good luck, my prayers are with you.

Blogger Duke_of_Earle said...

Nan,

My hat's off to you for changing out a sink faucet! Not an easy job. Sometimes getting the old one loose and removed without destroying the sink is impossible.

Oh, and the rule of thumb is that it always requires at least THREE visits to the hardware/building supply store before the project can be completed. You NEVER get everything you'll need on the first trip.

John

Blogger Big Dave T said...

How are you on electrical? I have a bathroom light fixture that isn't working. Electricity doesn't seem to be getting to it. I replaced the light switchbox to no avail.

Post a Comment

<< Home