Friday, December 07, 2007

The Doldrums

About this time of the year, the dreaded doldrums set-in around our department. Since we deal with construction, a lot of things come to a screeching halt in certain areas of the country. You can’t pour a foundation when the ground is frozen and the temperature hovers below freezing.

In addition, a lot of people save their vacation for the holidays. That makes Friday afternoons in the office like a morgue. Even the vendors we deal with don’t call. And I could certainly use a wakeup call right now. I nearly broke my nose when it hit the desk a few minutes ago.

So I got up and walked around. Got some hot tea, went to the ladies room and generally wasted as much time as I could. Unfortunately, I sat back down and immediately got sleepy again. Where’s the ass chewing when you need it?

In some ways this is worse than having too much to do. At least the days go by fast when you’re busy. This past year was really, really busy, and I got accustomed to the frantic pace. Some days I didn’t even break to go to the ladies’ room until I was desperate. It’s hard to race down the hall with your thighs pressed together to keep from peeing all over yourself.

This won’t last and I know I should enjoy the lull…keep telling me that after the first of the year when we start gearing up again. In truth, I work so much better under stress. When I have little to do, I hate to use it up all at once. Afterall, I don't want to look like I have nothing to do.

I guess some people are just never happy. BAH HUMBUG!

2 Comments:

Blogger Big Dave T said...

Gee, for some reason I had you pictured working in a department store, so this would be your REALLY busy time.

It's been slow at my work too for me. I even took one of my Christmas season days on Wednesday. With us, technology is catching up with us. It's starting to make all our jobs easier. Almost too easy, if you know what I mean.

Blogger Karyn Lyndon said...

Nankin, you've been tagged with a drabble. Cruise on over to my blog and you'll find out what that means.

Karyn

Post a Comment

<< Home