Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Passport to Nowhere

I decided the other day that I would get my US Passport since they’re supposed to be getting harder to obtain. Not that I’m ever going anywhere, but maybe if I have it, I can persuade Jimbob to do a little traveling (I can dream). I’m still working on getting him to Disney World in Florida.

Anyway, I went to CVS and had my picture taken. The next day I went on line and filled out the application and printed it out. There was a list of places to turn it in (US post office and county courthouse.)

Since I knew the post office was open on Saturday’s, it seemed like the logical choice. Forgetting that not all businesses open before the crack of dawn, I arrived at 9:15 AM only to find that they opened at 10:00. Okay, so I thought I’d go on over to the library while I waited.

I did call beforehand, and they also opened at 10:00. I tried Pet Smart (one of my errands for the day) and they opened at 10:00. It wasn’t worth driving back home, so I waited in the car until 10:00. At least I was the second person in line. I plopped my application on the counter and the woman looked at me like I’d just exposed myself. “I don’t do passports,” she said.

I reminded her that the post office was listed as one of the official locations to turn in an application. She said, “Oh that’s only Monday through Friday between 10:00 AM and 4:00 PM.” I then called the number for the courthouse and the recording said, “Passport applications are taken Monday through Friday between the hours of 8:00 AM and 4:00 PM.”

What? Is this a conspiracy? I want a passport, not a frigging visa to lower Slobovia. Since most of us have to work real jobs (Government jobs don’t count), how is anyone supposed to get a pass port?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home