Thursday, August 16, 2007

Lunch From Hell

Some days I get so tired in the afternoon that I crash and burn. I’ve been totally useless since about 1:30. Although I ‘m trying to stay busy, my mind is wandering all over hell’s half acre as my mother always used to say.

I mentioned that we saw the eye doctor on Tuesday and that things went well. What I didn’t mention was our lunch ordeal afterwards. It was one of those “A strange thing happened on the way to the forum” lunches.

We stopped at our favorite Mexican restaurant on the way home since it is out of our way to go there normally. I dropped Jimbob at the door and went to park the car. When I got inside, he said the wait was about 20 minutes and he wasn’t sure he wanted to stay.

About that time, the greeter called another party who was sitting at the bar, and they were nice enough to let us have their table. Those women don’t know what a wise decision that was. We were seated at the penalty table. Do not pass "Go", do not collect $200.

After about 25 minutes I was able to snag one of the busy servers to ask him if he knew who our server was. He said no, but he was nice enough to take our drink order and find our missing server, George. I swear it took another 15 minutes to get a margarita and a glass of iced tea.

Our chip basket was down to crumbs and the two bowls of salsa had been licked clean by the time our drinks came, so we ordered immediately. In the mean time the ladies who had forfeited their table were already seated and were enjoying their lunch.

I’m not sure what happened to our order between our table and the kitchen, but we waited and waited and waited. Our server checked back to see if we wanted some warm tortillas and butter to tide us over. And he promised to see what was holding up our order.

The other ladies had paid for their lunch and left by that time. And George came back to tell us that everything was ready except the shrimp. He mumbled something about the cook trying to find them. (Where did they go?) Jimbob told George to bring out our plates and when the cook located the missing shrimp and beat them into submission to send them out.

That sounded reasonable to me. We’d now been waiting an hour and a half for lunch and I was hungry. Well…20 minutes later a different server brought out our plates with a few extra shrimp thrown in. I guess George was busy somewhere else.

2 Comments:

Blogger Moggy said...

Wow what a bad experience, but if it makes you feel any better you told about it very well and it was amusing ;-)

Blogger Duke_of_Earle said...

I for one am amazed at your patience! I'd've had the manager at my table long before the food finally arrived, and sent him/her scurrying to the kitchen to find those invisible shrimp or go catch some in the nearest bay! Wow. Did they offer you a discount or give you a certificate for a free meal at a later date? Hope so!

Post a Comment

<< Home