Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Maunderings

When we're kids, we never think that we'll actually grow up and be ADULTS. In fact when I was very young, I thought adults were and always had been adults, and children would always be children. It was really hard for me to comprehend that one day I might be 30 years old let alone 60.

I admit I was a little slow on the uptake with some ideas. I remember the year I turned 8, my parents had a New Year's Eve party and my sister and I got all dressed up in our best dresses so that we could say hello to the guests before we were relegated to our rooms. That's not the strange part. I had this weired misconception that New Year's Eve came and went one time and that was it. Okay, I said I was slow. Don't laugh too hard.

Here's another faux pax that I'll share with you. (That is besides figuring out that my parents had names besides Momma and Daddy.) I'm not sure how old I was when I realized that all of our cousins didn't share the same grandparents that my sister and I did. On my Dad's side there was Grandpa K and Miss Bobbie, but I was shocked when I found out there was no Grandma and Grandpa W for them. Of course they had other grandparents that I knew nothing about, but I couldn't quite understand how that could be.

Anyway, now that I'm 60 I sometimes wonder what I did with my life? Yes, I have 2 beautiful children and I'm about to become a grandmother for the first time. I have a good husband (even if he's not much of a nursemaid), but what did I do with those 60 years?

I'm still trying to figure it out. I always thought I'd make my first million by the time I turned 21; I was going to be a famous architect; and so on. Well it didn't happen according to plan. Damn, I hate it when that happens.

Jimbob bought me 60 beautiful gladiolus (5 dozen), one for every year. I'm sure they thought he was a bit soft in the head at Tom Thumb when he checked out. We had dinner and cake at home and spent a quiet evening relaxing. That's the way I like to celebrate.

2 Comments:

Blogger Duke_of_Earle said...

Me too, Nan. Happy 60! (I beat you, but that's OK cause you're catching up.)

Good for Jimbob, and his 60 Gladiolus. Sounds like a good man to keep around, nursemaid or not.

John

Blogger Big Dave T said...

Sixty is coming down the pipe pretty quickly for me too. I also wonder what happened to all my hopes and dreams. Then I think, I'm just a late bloomer. (Very late)

Regarding your comment on my blog about the Russian police, my son says a Michigan State University student was arrested for climbing on a war statue in Volgograd.

He would have been hauled off to jail, but had the option of "paying a fine" right then and there. Of course, he chose that. They even "negotiated" the fine. Huh.

Post a Comment

<< Home