Monday, November 10, 2008

TO BE OR NOT TO BE

I’ve said every day for the past week that I’m going to take time to do a post…and of course I haven’t. Things have been really strange recently. A lot of people in other areas have already been laid off with the promise that there will be more.

With almost 35 years with the company, where does that leave me? Damned if I know. There’ve been a few rumors circulating that some older associates have been offered early retirement. I certainly qualify, but haven’t heard boo from anyone. So I suppose that means they’re going to keep me…or lay me off.

Call it denial or conceit if you want, but of the five people doing this job, I have the most experience. Next in line would be the stupid cow with 4 years experience, a nasty mouth and a worse attitude. She’s been a thorn in management’s side for years and if they’re smart, this would be the perfect opportunity to can her butt without “proof” of insubordination.

Do I wish being jobless on anyone? No, but if it’s me or them, you know who I’m looking out for. We’ve been told to make ourselves available this week for an announcement. That’s very definitive, don’t you know? Everyone is wandering around asking if you know anything. This is not a productive atmosphere.

2 Comments:

Blogger Duke_of_Earle said...

Nan,

As an HR manager in Texas I can tell you that without an employment contract you can be terminated for any reason or no reason, SO LONG AS the reason isn't an illegal one. Like age, sex, race, religion, or . . .

You (and I) would hope that the stupid cow would go first. Usually if management has any brains at all (a rarity, I admit) they will take the opportunity of an economic slowdown to get rid of "problem children."

Halloween is past, so although you might not hear "boo" from anyone, hopefully they won't keep you and others in suspense too long.

Oh, and thanks for the comment. Glad I was able to provide you with a laugh!

John

Blogger Big Dave T said...

Scary times right now. There's a hiring freeze here at work and rumblings of a reduction in force too (layoffs). But I'm not sure I would mind a lay-off in some respects. I've worked without a break for over 30 years. My younger brother who worked for GM got a few breaks due to long lay-offs and it didn't hurt him financially. In fact, he's retired right now.

Post a Comment

<< Home