Wednesday, June 08, 2011

Calorie Counting


I was curious about how many calories were in a saltine cracker since I often eat 2 or 3 for a midmorning snack. So I went to Google and did an inquiry, but after reading a couple of sites I was no more enlightened than I was before.

The first site said one serving is 160 calories but I have a hard time believing that one of those little 2"x2" squares of dry bread is 160 calories. I scratched my head and looked for a definition of one serving. Definition was not to be found.

I moved on to the next site and discovered that one cup of saltines is 300 calories. Okay, who eats their saltines by the cup? Further explanation indicated that the saltines were crushed. Again, who eats crushed saltines? Depending on how finely crushed these satines are, you could get more or less in a cup. So how valid is the statement that there are 300 calories in one cup of crushed saltines?

At this point, I gave up and decided to enjoy my midmorning snack without further guilt laden upon my shoulders by the health police.

1 Comments:

Blogger Big Dave T said...

My guess is 25 calaories for one square. That's based on years of calculating weight watcher portions. Four squares is equal to one slice of regular bread.

Post a Comment

<< Home