Friday, June 09, 2006

Strange Memories

Another round of strange things I remember. I have no idea why my mind hangs on to such useless trivia. But invariably some of this stuff pops up at the oddest times.

A few years ago, I was working on craft projects for our church’s upcoming craft fair on a Saturday morning. I made several stops on my way home to pickup additional supplies. What’s so strange about that, you may ask? Apparently I had rubbed my nose sometime during the morning while using hot glue. My bathroom mirror revealed the damage. I had a long string of hot glue from the end of my nose to my left cheek. If you have ever worked with hot glue, you know it strongly resembles snot. Do you think anyone would tell me? Of course not!

Sibling rivalry developed between my sister and me at a very early age. When I was about 3, I told her I had skated all the way across the service porch and Mom was going to buy me a new pair of roller skates. She was very jealous and a knock-down-drag-out fistfight ensued.

I can’t remember if I ever recounted the time that I told my uncle that I knew he was a boy. Of course he asked how I knew. “That’s easy,” I said. “You have to potatoes and a carrot, and girls don’t.”

One Saturday when I was 5 years old, we were going to see Mom on her lunch break at Sears. She worked behind the candy counter (not that that means anything). My sister, father and I had gotten out of the car and were walking up the sidewalk. I wasn’t paying the slightest bit of attention. In fact if I remember right I was avoiding cracks in the sidewalk so I wouldn’t break my mother’s back. Almost at the door I reached up to take Daddy’s hand. Only that pair of shoes I was watching didn’t belong to him. It was a complete stranger. Oops.

Mom’s idea of sex education was on a need to know basis. If she didn’t think we needed to know, she didn’t tell us. I married at 19 and had to be the most naïve bride in history. I had no idea men had pubic hair and I thought my husband (who was ignorant as I was) was some sort of freak.


Well…I guess that’s enough trivia for today. TTFN

1 Comments:

Blogger Deb said...

ROTFL!!!!!! I gotta remember the "two potatoes and a carrot" that's priceless!

I'm still giggling over you thinking your hubby was a "freak."

Have a great weekend and stay away from the hot glue. LOL

Post a Comment

<< Home