Thursday, February 22, 2007

Follow Up

Jimbob's surgery went well. Both for the implant on Friday and then the removal on Monday. But he looks like he was hit with a baseball. The results won't be conclusive for another 3 months or so. Right now, the doctor is watching to make sure there is no infection or other complications.

He drove to east Texas with his youngest brother and mom on Wednesday. When bro first asked, Jimbob said no, but I convinced him that it would make things easier for me. Since I'm working so many hours, I know he'd start getting bored. Then, he'd be out there on the road with a patch over his eye.

I know that there are a lot of people who drive with only one eye, but Jimbob is accustomed to stereo vision, not monaural (regardless of how bad it is.) Under the best of circumstances, his driving scares me witless and this is no where the best of circumstances. I'm afraid one of these days, he'll really hurt someone.

The older he gets, the worse his driving is. My kids won't even ride in the car with him. He drives too fast, follows too close and doesn't pay attention. Last time we went out of town, I was a nervous wreck when we got home. He just thinks its funny.

His mother drove until she was nearly 90, and I guess he thinks he can too. I think he needs to throw in the gauntlet and let someone else drive.

By the way, Jimbob turned 74 last Saturday.

4 Comments:

Blogger Deb said...

Happy late birthday to Jimbo! I'm so glad everything went well.

Blogger Duke_of_Earle said...

Tell Jimbob I turned 61 last Sunday! And happy late birthday to him.

Re: global warming... Yes, I've read that several million years ago the average temperature inside the arctic circle was like that of Miami today. Must not have been much of a polar icecap THEN, right? And we have proof that there were ice ages (NATURAL cycles) followed by warming cycles.

I don't think man has nearly the impact on this planet that we, in our arrogance, think we do. But we're willing to spend billions of billions to "fix" the problem that we don't really understand!

Sorry. That's just one of my favorite rants.

John

Blogger Moggy said...

My Grandpa drove until he was almost 94 and the Doctor tore up his drivers license on his 94th birthday.

It's really hard to give up driving. I guess when I retire I should move near one of those super walmarts I could get a job as a greeter and get food and clothes without ever driving.

Blogger Big Dave T said...

My father who just turned 77 has a hard time driving at night. But his father was driving well into his 80s and I suppose my dad will too.

Post a Comment

<< Home