Monday, March 12, 2007

Attack of the Dust Bunnies

Although in my case it’s more like the attack of the dust trolls, giants and gargoyles. I got very industrious last Saturday and determined to rake the leaves out front. When I realized how many there were, I decided the leaf blower was a better idea.

It was a lot less work and so much faster. Once I got most of the little critters in the street, I started blowing all of them into a big pile. That’s when I got into trouble. I felt like Pig Pen from the Peanuts cartoon strip. The dust and other trash set off my allergies like you wouldn’t believe. By Saturday night, I could hardly breathe.

Yesterday morning I made the mistake of singing in the choir at the 11:00 o’clock service and was starting to lose my voice. Then we had a two hour rehearsal for the Messiah and I sang again. Dumb. Dumb. Dumb.

Today I sound like an adolescent boy in the early stages of puberty. As I talk, my voice rapidly runs the gambit from a deep alto (or even tenor) to a soprano and then back again. The worst part is the barking like a seal. This is not fun.

Now add to this the fact that every Bradford pear tree in McKinney is in bloom ( there must be thousands of them); along with the redbuds, plums, pears, magnolias and peach trees. In fifteen years this is the prettiest I’ve ever seen them, but not good for the sinuses.


Well anyway. I’ve included a few pictures I took on the way home tonight. They don’t even begin to show the splendor of all these white trees in bloom in large masses. They look like trees made of millions of snow flakes. So I guess I’ll just have to keep snorting, sniffling and snarfing for the next week or so.





This little tree is right out front of our house. Most of the time it's scrawny and unimpressive, but look at it now. And of course you can see some of those pesky little leaves I didn't get raked up.



Now, last but not least, three weeks ago we had 14 degrees when we left ot go to the hospital for Jimbob's eye surgery. Yes, this really north texas. You never know what you'll wake up to.


1 Comments:

Blogger Duke_of_Earle said...

Nan,

I'm amazed that the pears and redbuds are blooming so soon after a hard freeze. Mother Nature is a marvelous lady, eh?

John

Post a Comment

<< Home