Monday, April 30, 2007

Round 'em up. Head 'em out.

A week ago last Friday, I bit the bullet and faced the fact that I had to have new underwear. In one word, bras. Just the bras, ma’am, just the bras.

So I hitched up my drawers (which also needed replacing), circled the wagons and headed to the nearest JCP for another depressing sprint through the lingerie department. I say depressing because after scouting a sea of racks laden with every form of restraint for the female, human bosom, I had ten likely looking candidates that might suffice.

I took my choices of torture to the dressing room feeling like I was getting dressed for the local SWAT team. I pulled on the first straight jacket in line and muttered, “What the f--- is this?” I looked like I had two loaves of bread dough squashed onto my chest, with most of it oozing out under my arm pits.

I ripped that puppy off and checked the tag. Yes it was my size, yes it was in a relatively neutral flesh tone, but the key word was, “Minimizer”. Okay, time to move on to candidate number 2 with just as much success. But this time I had a shelf I could comfortably rest my chin on. So much for lifts and separates. I wanted to scream, “Just give me something that covers me decently and inhibits some of the jiggle and bounce.”

Articles 3 through 10 were sad apparitions of feminine insults. Okay, so I’m old and a bit over endowed, but I still like to appear attractive to the naked eye (pun intended). Donning my own pathetic rag-tag bra, I tried again.

Three more candidates later I returned to the fitting room. Can you believe that I was really getting depressed by now? One of these actually didn’t pinch, or stretch, or pull, or squash, or bite…so this had to be it. Now I felt like I was driving a brand new Hum V instead of wearing underwear. Oh Lord, won’t you buy me a Mercedes Benz?

I wasn’t up to tackling the problem of undies at that point in time. I licked my wounds at the checkout counter and slunk home for an ice cold margarita.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This post made me laugh...
oh how I can relate!
I just recently had the same nightmare.
I ended up buying some "t-shirt" bra and had my Hubby cut and pull out the support wire.
ahhhhh much better.
:)
I'll be back again.

Blogger Arumdaun said...

Oh How I feel your Pain! Such pain it is too...why do they put those tags under the arms like that? By the time you have tried one one you are scratched and sore.... sigh.
I look forward to you next post. You made me laugh on a day that was least expected. Thanks for that.

Post a Comment

<< Home