Monday, March 03, 2008

Did I Write That


I was just sitting here reading a chapter of the book I’ve been working on since the year 1. At the time, I thought it was pretty good, but now, many years later, I’m embarrassed to say I wrote it. I can't help but think, "Oh my God. Did I write that?"

Over the past couple of years, I’ve been rewriting, cutting and adding to the story and the comparison between my recent work and that which hasn’t been touched in a long time is miles apart. At least I hope it’s miles apart.

Out of 35 pages, at least 34 are going into the dumpster. I can’t believe I wrote such twaddle (how’s that for a good word?) even in my fledging author days. But if I don’t read these unedited chapters, how will I ever know if there’s anything to salvage? Even if I do gag every so often.

Well, I suppose I should get back to work. At this rate, I may finish by the year 2012.

2 Comments:

Blogger Lucy Stern said...

We learn so much as we age. My husband will write and then put it aside and go back later and say the same thing......I hope Jimbob is talking to you by now....Talk to ya later.

Blogger Big Dave T said...

It's funny how when I see something I wrote months, or years ago, I can spot the awkward or rough spots easily. Yet at the time, I know I must have proofread it a dozen times.

Post a Comment

<< Home