Monday, August 01, 2005

SOAP BOX

Tilt, Reset, Undo, Delete, Redo. I'm amazed when I watch kids playing video games. How many times can they push reset or undo before their character dies? And why must that character die? Why can't he/she simply lose the game. What ever happened to sportsmanship?

There are times when I think kids believe that life is like a video game. If you don't like the way things are going, push reset and start all over. Worse case scenario, blow somebody away just to see how it feels.

Heaven knows, these kids drive like they're hustling a video game. My daughter, Miss B, told me once that a friend of hers had totaled his car the night before. Then she went on to say, "That's not bad, it's only the second wreck he's had since he got his license a year ago."

Two wrecks in one year? That's not bad? I've been driving 42 years and have never been involved in a wreck as a driver.


When my kids wailed, "But Mom, you just don't understand!" they were right. I Don't understand the excuse of, "It's not my fault". Did someone come along and put a gun to their head and say, "I'll blow your head off if you don't break your mother's chair"? I always said I had three kids, Jaycee, MissB and Not Me.

Okay, so I'm an old fogy. And I'm sure our parents thought the same things about us when we were growing up. I remember when I was about 7 years old, my mother was horrified because the son of her best friend was having a "BOP" (like in BEBOP) party. You would have thought the kid had announced he was going out to get drunk and hire a prostitute.

Yeah, yeah. I know. Your probably wondering who put a burr under my saddle. Damned if I know. Sometimes, ya just gotta let it all hang out.

1 Comments:

Blogger Karyn Lyndon said...

I had no idea bop meant anything other than something G rated!

Post a Comment

<< Home