Sunday, October 02, 2005

By the by...

I've had very little time this past week, so of course no blogs. What I've been doing is...working on a book. It's one I wrote a looooong time ago. Since I have a dozen or so projects started and none complete, I decided to dust this off and see what I can do with it.

How embarrasing to reread what you thought was good only to realize how bad it was. Below is a few pages of chapter ONE that I have reworked. Feel free to offer advice, criticism, PRAISE, or whatever. If you don't like fantasy, you probably won't like it, so go away.


-ONE-


His face set in stone, only his eyes betrayed Omron's mask like countenance as he searched the eager faces mobbing the council chambers. "Fools!" he whispered.

Of the myriad assortment of men, only the prisoner, Raith dared to return his unflinching stare. Raith was the one man he could not look in the eye. The youth lay at the center of their salvation, and he must sentence him to death.

“Come to order,” he said softly. His words reverberated to the highest rafters of the stone room. Sunlight from the open windows suddenly pierced the gloom. Stragglers rushed to find a vantage point on the hard wooden benches in horseshoe ranks flanking the Chair of Honor.

Omron sighed. The brilliant winter sun mocked his dark mood. His entire life had been dedicated to serving the people. Yet most of them never overcame their fear of the wizards…and him most of all. Even his six council members averted their gaze as he quickly dismissed them from mind.

“Come to order,” he said again. Omron did not like what he was about to do. Yet, he must deal harshly with the young man to insure the trial appeared legitimate. Not even his closest friends must doubt the outcome of this hearing. Sadly, Raith would never understand the workings of his complex mind. It was a heavy burden that he must bear alone.

Let’s get on with it,” a rough voice jeered from the onlookers. “Give Raith justice for once!”

He would give them justice alright. It would be far more than they ever expected. Coldly he searched the cavernous room for…what, he didn’t know. Dust swirled in the combined light of the glow bulbs and sunshine reminding him of the fairy creatures of which he was so fond.

With more impatience than he intended, he intoned, "As befits the trial of an initiated wizard, there will be no outsiders present. All but the mage born shall immediately depart from this chamber.”

“That’s not fair,” a burley man dressed in the garb of a blacksmith shouted. “We’ve waited hours to see Raith brought down.”

“Guards, you shall also wait outside.” Omron ignored the outburst. “I will summon you at the proper time. This man poses no threat to me or any others privileged to witness his trial." He glared at the blacksmith to make sure he’d gotten the message.

Stunned silence followed as the commoners filed reluctantly through the triple sets of massive, double doors. They had come to witness a spectacle. This sudden, unforeseen development sat uneasily in their judgment.

The soldiers glanced nervously toward Omron, secretly hoping he would not change his mind before they might escape. Captain Loral asked, “Are you su…?” but the words died upon his lips. Omron’s gaze bored right through him.

“Get them moving,” Loral barked. But the order was unnecessary as the soldiers officiously hustled the laggards through the double sets of doors, gruffly disguising their own fear. Not one would admit their relief upon dismissal.

Omron turned his undivided attention upon the prisoner. His piercing green eyes probed for signs of guilt. "Raith of Thedi, you stand accused of murder and treason. As Arch Mage, it is my painful duty to bring you to trial before this council of your peers. How do you plead?" he demanded harshly.

“No!” the wizards Marrick and Gorning gasped. Several others rose from their seats. “Why?” someone else asked

Raith stammered, "My lord...I cannot believe my ears! I am now, and always have been faithful to you and the council. I stand unjustly accused! I am innocent of all charges." With the greatest of efforts, he drew himself erect and peered proudly into Omron's chilling gaze.

Manacled hand and foot, the slight framed Raith swayed precariously upon his feet. The spelled irons dampened his vivid blue mage aura to a pale glimmer. No wizard in Canth could stand against such cruel restraints.

The youth's words fell upon deaf ears. Omron continued without emotion, "Two days ago the elfling, Borg, disappeared amid a whirling vortex of virulent mage light. This base disturbance irreparably burned the eyes from several witnesses.”
Again, Marrick gasped loudly, “Surely this cannot be true. Raith has been missing nigh on a year.”

Omron silenced the protestors with no more than a look. “I accuse you, Raith as the perpetrator of this blasphemous misuse of the sacred art of magic!”

“No…that can’t be,” Raith whispered.

Omron continued, “There are witnesses who place you oft in the company of the renegade wizard, Borth of Stansa.”
Raith glared unblinking at his former mentor. “Then your witnesses lie. You of all people should know I could never perform such atrocities.”

“As you well know, Borth is a powerful and corrupt mage...and the sworn enemy of Aden and all that He stands for. We must deem those who would traffic with him among our sworn enemies.”

6 Comments:

Blogger Big Dave T said...

You sound like me with the number of projects you've got going, lack of time, etc.

I'm a terrible critic. I remember thinking a story I read to be horrible, only to find that it subsequently was published by a reputable magazine.

That said, I like your use of action verbs. It really gives your story power. One of my problems is that I always fall back on using the passive tense, and my writing becomes weaker for it.

I have that same problem with my writing. I put something down, then when I come back later, I think the story and the writing is not that good. Maybe all it needs is a good re-write. "Revise, revise, revise," I've been told.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i will always admire your writing style. you really bring words to life. im glad you dusted this one off, it really seems like a great story. cant wait to read more.

Blogger Unknown said...

Ahhh the ugly word of "busy" but such writing....please, please give us more to quinch our thirst.

I too have been busy but appreciate all your kind words and great wisdom. I will and do always love your writing and look forward to any new postings.

Blogger DBFrank said...

Don't be so hard on yourself, it isn't bad t'all! :)

Blogger Duke_of_Earle said...

Good hook. Great tension in an opening scene. Just enough information that we feel a part of the action, but with tons of questions about what's really going on.

Dialogue is terse with vocabulary that fits the genre. Good sense of what's going on in Omron's head... to a point (which is also good).

My take on it? A lot to like! If I'd picked this up to browse in a bookstore or library, I'd want to keep reading.

John

Blogger Nankin said...

John, you made my day. I'm sure you know what I mean when it comes to rewrites.

Post a Comment

<< Home