Friday, October 07, 2005

Its Friday Frippery

It’s Friday Frippery. My word of the day is: algophobia. Today, we have to go to the Britannica On Line Encyclopedia. Algophobia means: an abnormal fear of pain. As in: I refuse to go to the dentist because of my algophobia. Maybe I came up with this one because I couldn’t sleep last night due to back pain. No wonder I’m in such a pissy mood.

WARNING: This is my forum to be my inane, irrelevant, irreverent, irregular, irresponsible, smart ass self. The opinions expressed in this column are still not and probably never will be those of management. Who gives a damn what management thinks?

1. Here’s an example of what I mean when I talk about gouging on gas prices. I pass a Chevron station everyday on my way to and from work. This particular station has always been the most expensive in McKinney (and living up to its reputation). Tuesday evening their sign read 2.79. Wednesday morning it read 2.85. Wednesday evening the same sign read 2.89. Now here’s the kicker. Thursday morning the new price per gallon of gas read 3.09. That’s 30 red cents in less than 48 hours. That’s called piracy!

Something is definitely wrong with this picture. You can’t tell me they had 3 deliveries in a day and a half with higher cost on each that would account for this kind of price increase. At this rate, I can’t afford to drive to work.

2. I heard on the radio late yesterday that the cost of heating with natural gas may go up as much as 90% this winter. First we’re getting screwed on gasoline prices and now this. Thank God Texas doesn’t normally get bitter cold. Of course this will be an all time, record setting, subzero winter. I HATE BEING COLD!

3. Last night, rummaging through the moldy attic of my brain, I ran across the scene of Madeline Kahn in Blazing Saddles in which she sings the awful song, I’m Tired. She blats in a horrible imitation of Marlene Dietrich “I’m tired, so tired. I’m so very tired”. The saloon had billed her as the “Teutonic Titwillow”. Absolutely hilarious, but I was too tired to laugh.

4. I’ve been working diligently on my book. About the time I think I’ve finished one chapter to my satisfaction, I realize it needs to be tweaked (goosed) again. At this rate I’ll never finish. On the way home last night I had an epiphany. As I mentioned before, I wrote this years and years ago and I decided to dust it off and see what I could do with it. Unfortunately one of my characters bears a strong resemblance to Hagrid in the Harry Potter books. Of course, no one will believe that my Jessup was born long before Hagrid was even a wet dream for JK.

I hope everyone has a great weekend. TTFN

2 Comments:

Blogger N6FFU said...

Hey - try this one on for size. On my way to work each morning I stop at the docal Del Taco (read Mexican fast food joint) for a huge iced tea. I pass a Chevron station on the way and out of morbid coursoity I look at the price of "regular". On the "going" trip it was 2.92 per gallon. On the "return" trip (about 3 min. later) it was 2.99. And as you related - not a gas truck in sight. Go figuer.... By the way - you can have my gasoline bill if you want.. It was 750.00 last month and I average 21 MPG....

Welcome back - missed your posts!

Blogger Karyn Lyndon said...

"I'm Tired" is one of my favorite all-time movie scenes... "They keep coming and going and going and coming...and always too soon..."

Post a Comment

<< Home