Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Happy Birthday Britt

My baby girl turns 21 today. It's been a rocky road sometimes with this beautiful young woman. When she was 13, she decided she couldn't live with her brother and me any more and asked if she could go live with her father.

I knew exactly what he would say, but I told her if that was what she wanted, she would have to call him and ask if was okay. He gave every excuse in the book as to why it wouldn't be a good idea. The clincher was that the out of state tuition would be too much. Give me a break! Tuition in 8th grade?

Since that didn't work out, Britt asked if she could go live with Grandma and Grandpaw in Indiana. That was about as successful as talking to her father. Who do you think he learned the BS from?

After all was said and done, miss Britt spent six weeks going to school in Reno, NV and living with my sister and her husband. At 18, she turned around and went back to live with my sister again because that was when Jimbob and I got married and she felt alienated.

Last year my beautiful little girl got married to some guy 10 years older on Mother's Day. I didn't know a thing about it until my sister asked why I hadn't told her that Britt got married? It seems they only bothered to tell his side of the family. I still have yet to even speak to the guy. When she calss I hear in the background, "Who are you talking to?"

I have my conjectures as to why they kept the wedding a secrete, but it doesn't matter because it's already done. I pray every day that my child is happy and safe. I could have shut the door on her because of the hurt she caused me, but who would I be kidding? She's still my baby and I want her to be happy. And if things don't work out, she knows I'm still here for her.

4 Comments:

Blogger Deb said...

Happy B-day to your baby!

I gave my mother pure hell until I was 25. Then one morning I woke up and realized what a smart woman she was. With age comes wisdom.

You sound like a wonderful mother.

((HUGs))

Blogger Big Dave T said...

Have to ditto Deb here on your being a wonderful mother. A lot of girls seem to go through that budding independence stage too soon. And sometimes they pay for the mistakes of their errant youth for a long time. Let's hope your daughter doesn't turn out to be one of them.

Blogger Duke_of_Earle said...

Nan,

My oldest daughter married in secret. He was a user, and cleaned her out financially leaving her deep in debt. The best thing I ever paid for was her divorce. She's now happily married to a man who loves her and is devoted to her. I hope your Britt doesn't have to go through that kind of mess.

I know you love her. As a parent you just can't help yourself. I'm glad you're there for her, if she needs anything!

John

Blogger Nankin said...

John, I'm afraid that Britt has gotten herself into a similar situation. I don't know that he's a user (except of women), but from what she's said a few times, she is so far in debt since meeting him, I don't think she'll ever get out.

Post a Comment

<< Home