Tuesday, June 20, 2006

I'm Invisible

I grew up in Southern California where it was sunny and warm. We thought nothing of walking down the street and saying hello, or nodding and smiling to complete strangers. It was all very casual and nobody thought a thing about it.

Then I moved to the Chicago area and boy was I out of place. People there didn’t say hello to strangers. No way, no how. Do not pass go, do not collect $200. Even those in the same apartment building would make sudden and erratic detours in order to avoid greeting someone. I thought a couple of times they were going to call the cops because in their wildest imagination they were convinced I was going to mug them. Or I’d developed an advanced case of leprosy.

In Texas it’s a mixed bag. So many people have moved here from all over the country that we get all kinds. Some will return a smile, some will break their necks in order to keep from looking you in the eye. I guess it all depends on where you grew up. You can’t believe how interesting the pattern in the carpet suddenly becomes when they see someone coming toward them. Or…my all time favorite…poof, I'm invisible.

I hate it when someone looks right through me. My kids used to do that when they were telling less than the truth. It was a dead give away.

What are all these people afraid of? Looking someone in the eye is not a lifetime commitment. At least it wasn’t when I was growing up. Maybe I’m just weird. But at least I’m harmless.

6 Comments:

Blogger Big Dave T said...

Call it being painfully shy. I have that disease, though usually I'll smile and nod. To the defense of Chicago, I was there and the people who were most eager to greet and have a conversation with you were the homeless dudes looking for a hand-out.

Blogger Deb said...

Texas USED to be a very friendly state; I biased because I grew up here.

Used to, people waved at everyone they met on the road, whether you knew them or not.

I hate it when people look through me too.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This bothers me, too. Many time I'll look a stranger in the eye, smile and say "hello!" usually because they're looking at me. If they don't say anything back, I'll say loud enough for them to hear, in a very cheery voice "Fine! Thanks for asking!"

Blogger Hale McKay said...

I think it just the times - it's an untrusting society we live in, especially since 9/11.

Blogger Moggy said...

I was too shy to smile and speak when I was young, even though that was what everyone did. I think I was able to pull off the "deer in the headlights" look well enough that I didn't come accross as unfriendly. Now I talk to people everywhere and am surprized how many respond, smile and even have conversations with me.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm invisible also. I take it personally. At first it used to bother me. Now I'm used to it and it suits me just fine. I think it's because I'm old, ugly, and fat.

Post a Comment

<< Home