Saturday, June 17, 2006

Say What You Mean

I was cursed growing up with a father, a teacher, who insisted that my sister and I spoke proper English (even if it was just his idea of proper). One of the greatest faux pas we could make (to embarrass him) was to use a double negative. Now that I’m older, I notice these things more than the average bear.

Have you ever thought about what it really means when someone says, “That may not be a bad idea”? If your boss is the one saying it, it could mean anything from “You’re a total idiot and I’m too nice to tell you” or “That’s a great idea and I’m gonna steal it and take credit”.

One of the stupid things that bugs me is the saying “Not bad.” Okay, so if it’s not bad, why not just say good. I guess some people just can’t be positive.

Now, here’s my all time favorite, Mick Jagger and the Rolling Stones singing “I Can’t (image placeholder)Get No Satisfaction.” It’s a double negative, so that must mean he’s getting a whole bunch of whatever it takes to make him happy. You could say “I get no satisfaction” or “I can’t get satisfaction”, but when put together, it means something totally different.

By the way, I saw a picture of Mick Jagger’s father once. If Mick was beat with an ugly stick, they used the whole tree on his father. He makes Mick look like one of the Chippendale dancers.

Have I thoroughly confused this issue? I could come up with some wiseass double negative to end this, but I’m can’t think of anything. If a double negative makes it positive, does a double positive make it negative? Oh Lord, now my brain hurts.

6 Comments:

Blogger Hale McKay said...

Curious (to me), but is it a coinky-dinks that I have been working on a post something like this? I say so now, so that when I finally get around to finishing it, you won't think I stole the idea from you.

My premise is: What if an English teacher decided to grade Rock 'n Roll song titles and/or lyrics?

Thanks for the visit and comments.

My first example? I'm sure you guessed the Stones' "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction." I'm sure i don't need to tell you that in that genre there is a plethora of examples.

Blogger N6FFU said...

Couldn't agree more! Here are two (although not double anything) that drive me right over the edge.. These one's and Those one's..... Seems like I hear one or the other on a daily basis. Didn't these people manage to learn ANYTHING while in school??

Blogger Nankin said...

How about "Youse guys"? That's one that really bothers me.

Blogger Duke_of_Earle said...

You've reminded me of the story of the college professor who lectured to his class that a double negative is, indeed, a positive. However, a double positive cannot be a negative.

To which a freshman girl in the front row rolled her eyes and said, "Yeah, right!"

John

Blogger Deb said...

What gets under my skin is when people say "fishes" instead of fish and "squashes" instead of squash

Blogger Big Dave T said...

Makes me no never-mind ;)

Post a Comment

<< Home