Monday, October 23, 2006

In-Home Care

Jimbob and I went yesterday between church services to see his mother at the rehab center. She was up and moving around and counting the days until she can go home.

I know Brother #1 has talked to her about going back to her house in Cushing to organize and bring back the things she wants to have near her, but in her mind she’s going home to stay. She said, #1 was taking her home and would stay with her a few days until she gets settled in again.

I wanted to cry when she said that. She gets confused sometimes and doesn’t realize that she has agreed to sell her house and move closer to the boys. Besides, there is no way in hell she can live alone. She’s too unsteady on her feet and forgets a lot of things. She won’t cook for herself and refuses to take her medication. And she doesn’t want anyone coming into her house to assist her.

It’s just sad to see her going downhill so fast. Unfortunately, she appears to have no interest in anything. She does not read, watch television, or make friends with anyone… Her only mental challenge is to work crossword puzzles. All the boys have made sure she has several books of puzzles, but you can only spend so much time doing puzzles.

Jimbob called to say he is meeting #1 this PM to interview in-home care workers for grandma. I can’t imagine anyone wanting to migrate from one house to another as they shuffle grandma around. It’s not like we’re within 2-3 miles of each other.

Don’t get me wrong, I agree we need help, but I’m still not sure having her stay at each brother’s home for two weeks at a time is the answer. Regardless of whether in-home care is provided, the brunt of all this will fall to us girls. I suppose I’m being sour grapes about the whole matter. I really believe grandma would receive better and more consistent care if she were in a home.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know what you're talking about; my grandmother had Alzheimers.

Blogger Big Dave T said...

It's a bitch being one of the sandwich generation. We're expected to care for parents who are living longer, as well as kids who are living longer at home.

My brother-in-law says they have paid $40,000 for just a few months of in-home care for his aging parents. Who can afford that?

Post a Comment

<< Home