Thursday, May 03, 2007

Strange Encounters-Three of a Kind

Encounter number 1. Grandma is staying with us again and I feel so bad for her. I came home Tuesday about 5:00 PM and she was just getting out of bed. She asked me if I had spent the night here. I agreed and told her that this was my house. She said she thought it was her sister's house. I told her no (again) that it was mine and Jimbob's house. So then she said that her sister must be lost. I assured her that her 105 year old sister was in a home in Cushing.

I could tell she wasn't convinced, but she didn't say anything more about it. Although after dinner she asked if it was still morning, and wanted to know what city we were in.

Encounter number 2. Yesterday after work, I met Jimbob at our favorite Mexican place for dinner before he started teaching music lessons at church and before choir starts. When I got to the restaurant, I could see a washed out little blond sitting at the table across from him. Knowing Jinbob, I wasn't concerned because he never knows a stranger.

He introduced me to Stacie and explained that she had just lost her father to prostrate cancer and she had joined him at our table. Stacie had 1 1/2 margaritas setting on the table, but it was obvious that these were just the tip of the iceberg. Anyway, instead of going back to her table when we ordered dinner, she sat there devouring Jimbob with her eyes and making sexual insinuations. Every once in a while she'd remember I was there and make strange remarks like, "Now, she'd know big."

Well, okay, I had no idea how to respond. Was she making referrals to a certain part of male anatomy or maybe something else? I don't know. More than a little snockered, she made the comment that she needed someone to drive her home. Suddenly Jimbob and I grew rather deaf. I couldn't wait to get out of there, and neither could he. I headed home knowing that grandma was here alone and we had storms on the way.

Strange encounter number 3. At home, at least grandma was out of bed, but she thought that she was at her house in Cushing, OK and that Herald the cat was a stray that she'd fed and he decided to hang around. I asked if I could get her something to eat, but she said no she was trying to figure out what to fix for me.

Jimbob finally got home from choir practice and grandma asked if we were going to stay the night with her. Of course we said that we would. Jimbob went into the kitchen to get some water and grandma asked if he knew where the glasses were. I think I pissed her off because I made popcorn for everybody in her kitchen.

Today has been uneventful, but it's not over yet and it's grandma's 91st birthday.

6 Comments:

Blogger Arumdaun said...

My heart goes out to you. Does Velma have Alzheimer Disease? I have taken care of a beautiful older woman with the disease, clear up until her death. There were some hilarious moments right along with some of the saddest times I have ever had.

On a different note, I seem to collect all the odd people to me too. I think I have a sign on my forehead saying "talk to me.. I want to know everything about you..." As a matter of fact I think that will be my next post in my blog. lol

Blogger Duke_of_Earle said...

Nan,

I know firsthand what a heartbreak dimentia can be. Will Velma be there a long time? Stress in the life of a caregiver can become overwhelming in time.

John

Blogger Nankin said...

At this point in time, we have no idea how long Velma will be staying at our house. Her doctor has assured hu that she is suffering only from dementia. The sad part is she has no idea where she is or who we are most of th etime.

Blogger Big Dave T said...

My brother-in-law's mother is about where Velma is in life. I may see her at a Mother's Day picnic next week and she most certainly will ask how my wife's mother is doing. We'll tell her she died four years ago. She will put her head in her hands, apologize for not remembering, then five minutes later she'll ask again why my wife's mother didn't come to the picnic. Sad.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nankin
I like the title to this post. :)
I worked at a memory care assisted living for two years. It's a heartbreaking disease yet I have to say they were also good times. It's exhausting but rewarding to care for people with dementia.
I give you so much credit for doing this.

again, I'm glad to have found your blog. :)

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It sounds like Velma is in good hands. And you two did right by leaving Jimbob's little friend back at the mexican place to fend for herself. Yikes.

Post a Comment

<< Home