Saturday, August 06, 2005

Applause! Applause!


I think a little applause is in order. I bit the bullet today and installed my very own garbage disposal. Also known as an In-Sink-Erator. It only took me three times as long as someone who actually knows what they are doing. First though, I had to take apart the old one and disassemble some of the pipes under the sink. The old one had a 1/4" hole in the canister, so when I'd run the dishwasher, it leaked like a river. What a mess.

What I haven't said is that the friend who promised to come by and put it in, never quite found the time. So it was me, myself and I. That is after I unclogged the toilet...again. I don't know who did the plumbing in this house, but it really sucks!

There were a few tense moments when I thought I might have to call a friend for help. The only problem was, I know only one person who might help and he hadn't shown up in the first place.

My first obstacle was getting this stupid clip ring on with one hand while holding three other parts on with the other. Good old duct tape to the rescue. Once I got that on, it was time to tighten all the screws and hang the disposal. Unfortunately, I didn't have the strength to hold the disposal at arms length with my left hand and then grab the "wrenchette" with my right and twist the collar so the flanges engaged.

If nothing else, I was very ingenious. First I placed a small footstool beneath the disposal, but it wasn't quite tall enough. So I placed the hammer on top of the stool for the disposal to rest upon. "Almost there. Almost there," as the fighter pilot in Star Wars said. I still had a gap of approximately 3/8" to close. A screwdriver went under one end of the hammer and two pairs of pliers under the other. This brought me within a hair's breadth of my target. Somehow, I managed to lever the hammer up that last smidgen, grab the "wrenchette" and twist. That puppy snugged right up there where it belonged.

To die and be reincarnated as a plumber is still my idea of hell!

1 Comments:

Blogger Duke_of_Earle said...

Oh, Nan! Be careful how you talk about your appliances and plumbing! The pipes, fixtures and machines WILL get even. Trust me on this. Especially dangerous is a machine that is ATTACHED to the plumbing (washing machine, dishwasher, disposal, etc.) They can wreak both electrical and water havoc at the same time.

I speak from experience, much of which is chronicled in some of my posts of several months ago. (You've got to start with my post of Feb. 26, 2005 and work your way forward. You'll see!)

It's even possible that your plumbing and appliances had something to do with the disappearance of your potted plant.

Congrats on the ingenuity of a successful disposal installation! Good luck with the inevitable aftermath.

John

Post a Comment

<< Home