Tuesday, August 09, 2005

KAABOOM!

And my little heart went pitter pat. As I sat at the red light, lightening seared the sky, the wind kicked up to about 60 MPH and I'm thinking TORNADO . Suddenly, my Jeep Liberty shook violently and the scatterd splatters of raindrops turned into an awesome (read, scary)deluge. Horizontzl rain pelted us like gravel shot from a cannon.

As we watched, the "Road Closed" signs and big orange construction barrels on the side street skittered across the intersection, barely missing passing cars. Visibility further reduced to no farther than the hood of the car.

When the light turned green, traffic was forced to negotiate the newly erected obstacle course. Some pulled to the side to wait out the deluge. I thought I was doing really great to maintain a steady 35 MPH. Then a big pickup with a wanna-be horse trailer roared past me. I was momentarily blinded by the rooster-tail of his wake. I guess he was too macho to cower like the rest of mortals.

Surprisingly, I made it home without incident. I was oh so glad I was no longer driving my Miata. I wonder if our motorcycle riding secretary made it home without getting blown over?



Okay, I have egg on my face. Jimbob called me yesterday afternoon. I asked if he had noticed our missing plant. He said he f ound it blown under some bushes. I apologize! My only defense is it was still dark at 6:00 AM.

5 Comments:

Blogger DBFrank said...

Yikes! Glad you are okay.

Blogger Nankin said...

Thanks, Cowboy. I talked to our motorcycle riding secretary and she said it was pretty scary.

Blogger the many Bs said...

Thanks for visiting my site. That sounds like a really scary storm. I'm sure glad we don't have weather like that in Seattle.

Blogger Duke_of_Earle said...

Ha! I TOLD you it was probably a conspiracy of your plumbing and appliances! NOW do you believe?

John

Blogger Hale McKay said...

We had a storm like that a few months ago - I did pull over because streets were flooding. Not having much visibility could have had me driving into a mimi-lake where there was highway 5 minutes before. After the rain stopped and the streets drained I made it home, wet but safe.
Glad to hear you made it safely too.

Post a Comment

<< Home