Thursday, February 02, 2006

Mad Cow Disease

I'm having a real attitude problem today. I always thought it took too much energy to hate someone, but the stupid cow I was forced to train is making that thought obsolete. She's only been doing estimating four, five, maybe six months and she already knows everything.

What I don't understand is that the boss is sucking it up like a milk shake. She goes down to his office to expound on her latest revelation on how to change our job and chats for 20 or 30 minutes. I go down there with a problem and am allotted 2 minutes. And I'm not exaggerating. That's exactly what he told me yesterday when I pointed out a potential problem. Oh yeah, he said, "Fix it and let me know what you do".

This woman is too stupid to know what she doesn't know. How can you improve something when you don't even know what you're supposed to be doing? In addition she's flooding him with her achievements in revamping procedures. Unfortunately the "procedure" she is talking about is the project of someone else in a different department. This poor guy has been sweating over it for more than a year and the cow claims it as her own. GRRRRRRR!

There's a whole bunch of us waiting to see her crash and burn. I volunteered to bring the marshmallows to roast when it happens. And it will happen. She has yet to experience more than one project at a time while the rest of us poor schmucks are juggling 20 to 25 on a regular basis.

For once in my life I have decided not to step in and help when she comes whining about her workload. I've taken jobs from any number of people over the years, but I draw the line here. I made the mistake once of asking an ex-estimator for a couple of hours of her time and she said, "I'll have to check my calendar first". Even that didn't stop me. Yeah, I'm too stupid to say no.

Jimbob says I won't do it, but he's wrong. That's it, no more, go suck an, egg, go give the boss a b--w job, but get outta my face.

6 Comments:

Blogger Duke_of_Earle said...

Wait. Ar YOU mad, and SHE'S the cow? Or is she the MAD COW, and you're a mad "schmuck" (your word, not mine!) Or is it... Oh, never mind. I get the picture.

Nan, I think we've all worked around somebody like that at least once. Yeah, she'll crash and burn. But it IS infuriating to put up with antics like that in the meantime, when you've been there forever and always do a good job.

Hang tough!

John

Blogger Deb said...

Nan,

I've work with people like that before; can't stand them either.

I'm getting a bad feeling about this woman from what you're telling me.

Please watch your back and keep your bases covered.

On an upbeat note. . . I know it's easier said then done, but try not to let her get to you. She's not worth you getting you blood pressure up over.

From what I do know about you, you're very talented and a strong lady.

I agree with John; hang in there

Blogger Nankin said...

Deb & Jon, thanks for the encouragemnet. I know it's just a matter of time before she get's to thinking she's the boss. When that happens...well you can imagine since the real boss is an anal control freak.

I've outlasted a lot of people around here and will make it through this too. LOL

Blogger Big Dave T said...

Call me paranoid, but shouldn't you be a bit careful blogging about her? Even the blog world is small.

Just to be safe, I never blog recognizeably about my own workplace. I do hope things get better there. I'd like to say they probably will, but I can't say there's a lot of wisdom or fairness in upper management anywhere.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

in response to blogger's rights, ie what can & cannot be written:
people may want to be careful about mentioning companies & people by name, but mentioning people & describing situations (even at work) is not wrong or offensive.
there was a case not too long ago where a man blogged bad points about his comany, mentioning the company many times & (supposedly) the information he gave (which was mainly how the company screwed not only its employees, but its customers as well) was considered "inside" information.

i can't recall the exact case, or link it, but i'm sure you could search it.

point is, describing situations, or people, isn't offensive in itself.
slander however is, but you have to describe someone (with their full accurate name), that person must somehow read it & then that person described must not only take offense to it, but take action because of said offense.
--------------------------------------
so, it sucks nancy that you have such a moron trying to one-up you or get you to join in a pissing contest, but i know you will get your come-up-in's (i think that's the spelling) :D

Anonymous Anonymous said...

or is it they will get their come-up-in's?
i think i have heard it used both ways, to signify someone getting something good they deserve, or something bad, but something they deserve nontheless.
anyway, yeah... nancy you are awesome, <3 i love you.
i hope work gets a little less stressful.
:D & sorry for ranting about blogger's rights in your comments.

Post a Comment

<< Home