Friday, March 17, 2006

Happy St Patricks Day

Happy St. Patrick’s Day to everyone. I had a really productive morning, but since lunch, everything I try to do somehow goes wrong. So I decided to quit. I’d rather blow a couple of hours when I can’t do anything right than a million dollars because of a stupid mistake.

I’ve been considering applying for a new position within the department, but when I stop to think about it, I’m really not sure. First issue being, I’d like to retire in a couple of years. Second is, do I want to subject myself to the added stress and ass kissing it would involve? And third, most of the time I’m left to do my job when I want (deadlines allowing) how I want and without too much scrutiny.

As it is, nobody understands what we do and they don’t want to find out. Not that it’s hard, but most people don’t have the patience or tenacity to get it done. The estimators are at the bottom of the funnel and as everyone knows, the shit flows down hill.

About the only time I hear from my boss is if I screw something up. Needless to say I do my best to avoid that situation. This other position would be very high profile. I don’t know what the money would be, but I really doubt that it would compensate for the PCP (politically correct police) breathing down my neck all the time.

On a lighter note, Jimbob is leaving on a mission trip to Russia this coming Monday. I don’t think the reality of it has set in yet. The team has been planning on it for the last six months and it’s finally here. Six of them fly from here to Atlanta and then to Moscow. They will be staying at a Presbyterian Ministry in Moscow that was founded by a Korean minister.

Language could be a bit of a sticky wicket. They will be using a Korean interpreter to translate from Russian to Korean; someone else to translate from Korean to English. Can you imagine a torrid love scene with all the extras?

And here’s a note for our friends Doug and Jill. He called me on Thanksgiving Day last year to say that Maggie had died. She was about 11 or 12 years old and in failing health. About two weeks ago, Doug called Jimbob to say he wouldn’t be at choir practice because Georgia May was dieing. She had become suddenly ill on Sunday night and by Wednesday, she was dead.

You have to understand that these dogs were their “children”. Last Monday at Bible study at our house, Doug came in carrying a box with a towel draped over it. Inside was a new baby. He’d brought Miss Ellie Pearle Rosanna to meet everyone. Who could resist a seven week old ball of fluff?

The new baby will never replace Maggie or Georgia May, but she’ll take her own special place in their hearts. By the way, I forgot to say we’re talking about German Shepherds.

Love to Doug and Jill.

3 Comments:

Blogger Lucy Stern said...

It's funny how we get attached to our animals. I hate it when one of ours dies. It's hard.

Blogger Big Dave T said...

Sorry to hear about the dog. As much as a bother our dog can be at times--he's a terrible beggar--I can't imagine life without him. He's 13 years old in June.

Wow, your feelings about seeking a possible promotion mirror my own. I could probably use some extra money with retirement looming on the horizon, but the job I have right now is probably the least-stress inducing one I've had in my work career. Decisions, decisions.

Blogger the many Bs said...

Awwww.... that's so sad about the doggies. They just don't live long enough. I can't stand to think that my boys won't live forever.

Post a Comment

<< Home