Thursday, March 16, 2006

Lunar Yearnings

I was watching the moon on the way to work. If it’s not full, it’s a good imitation of it. It’s hard to realize that the moon was a piece of the Earth several billion years ago. According to numerous articles I’ve read the moon originally appeared 100’s of times larger in the night sky. The moon is slowing the Earth’s rotation just as Earth slows the moon’s. In the end, we will loose the moon.

There is such serenity about that beautiful silver globe caressing us with magical fairy-light that evokes a deep longing in my heart. I ache to reach out and touch its icy façade; search for the “Man in the Moon”; plant my footprints next to those of Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin.

It pulls at me like the tide of our oceans. Perhaps that is why I have such a longing to be near the ocean. Sometimes I simply want to walk into the surf and never come back; not to die, but to be reborn.

And then again…perhaps it’s just a bit of Luna-cy. Does the moon truly drive people mad; to become Luna-tics?

2 Comments:

Blogger Deb said...

Great post; very well written. I love taking a walk during a full moon. You're right, it does have a certain feel about it.

Blogger Duke_of_Earle said...

A clear sky, a full moon, and clean, fresh snow on the ground. Pure beauty!

Luna-cy? I don't think so.

John

Post a Comment

<< Home