Tuesday, March 14, 2006

The Week in Retrospect

There are days when you shouldn’t bother getting out of bed…and then there are weeks when it’s safer to pull the covers over your head and go back to sleep.  Last week was like that.  As I get older, there seems to be more of these weeks.

I’m so inundated at work I don’t even know where to start.  If I work on one project all twenty something others get behind.  As a consequence, I don’t feel like working on any of them.  I’m getting too old for this kind of stress.

Then the asshole insurance company is pretending that they don’t understand why I had crowns put on three of my front teeth.  Just because my poor teeth were worn nearly transparent, and causing me pain was no reason to have the work done (so they say).  They claim it was cosmetic.  It’s a frigging game with these insurance companies.  The longer they delay the more interest they get on the money they don’t have to pay out.  I know it’s all in hopes that I’ll give up and pay the 2,700.00 myself.  If I had that kind of money lying around, I wouldn’t need insurance.  What the hell am I paying for anyway?

Wednesday, I called to cancel our home security system service and let them know I would send a letter to that effect.  According to the woman I spoke to, our contract had been automatically renewed on February 1st for another year, because we were supposed to give them 60 days notice.  We had called two years ago and been informed that the technician who installed the system had misled us and that we couldn’t cancel after a year.  At that time we were told all we needed to do was give them thirty days notice.  I kind of went postal and told this woman that I was going to throw the hardware in the trash and stop payment on their automatic withdrawal.  Oh, she was soooo sympathetic.  Yeah right!  Her reply was that they’d turn our account over to a collection agency.  The letter I wrote after speaking to her was not very nice.  And I also mailed a copy to their CEO.  Friday, some man called and said they would cancel our contract.  I asked for that in writing.

On the way home from choir Wednesday night some jerk in front of me made a left turn on the green arrow, so I followed.  No big deal, but then said driver of the car in front of me stopped.  Apparently he/she/it saw the red light for the street we were turning onto…and stopped.  I nearly bought the rear end of a Nissan.  I’m not one to overly use my horn (in fact, most times I can’t find it), but I must have scared the shit out of this idiot.  He/she/it finally completed their left turn so I could get out of the intersection.  Closer to home, I looked into my rearview mirror just in time to see three idiots coming up on me like I was standing still.  I thought for sure one of them was going to clip my butt.  It was three dumb-shits in Corvettes racing.

I know this is getting wordy, but I’m almost done.  Thursday I was chewing bubble gum and my temporary crowns came unglued.  I hoped the permanent crowns would come back from the lab today, so I haven’t bothered to call the dentist.  I don’t want to take anymore time off work either.  So now, I have to be very careful that I don’t accidentally swallow these blasted fake teeth.

And let us not forget Tuesday when I was trying to dig a hole for my Japanese maple.  There were a lot of roots from a Yaupon holly that I’d had dug out earlier, so I was cleaning them out as I dug.   I’d already cut and snipped some pretty big roots when I came to an even bigger one.  Unfortunately, it wasn’t a root, but in its half-buried state, I didn’t recognize that it was a PVC pipe.  Don’t laugh too hard.  It could be you.  My only saving grace being, it was to the sprinkler system not the house and our buddy Doug is going to fix it.


3 Comments:

Blogger Duke_of_Earle said...

Nan,

You said, "Then the asshole insurance company..." Do you mean to tell me you've found a company that insures assholes!?? My gosh, think of all their potential customers. In fact, you talked about a lot of them in your post!

Of course, I don't understand why you think they should pay a claim on teeth, because one doesn't typically find teeth in that part of the anatomy, does one?

I can see the Geico gecko lizard advertising special (higher) rates for assholes. What a marketing concept.

(Hope that brightened your day some!)

John

Blogger Big Dave T said...

My wife's job partly involves trying to get health insurance claims paid for the doctors she works for. It's incredible the amount of grief health insurance companies give her, and patients.

And in most cases the claims are completely legitimate and should be paid. If there's a state insurance commission in your state, like there is in our's, don't hesitate to take your complaint there. And tell your insurer you are doing it.

Blogger N6FFU said...

Welcome back Nan - Been wondering where you've been... With regards to the teeth - you sort of neglected to let everybody in on the reason for the caps/crowns being needed... Something about your FAVORITE snack/treat when you were growing up.... Possibly something you salted.... Those of us that have known you for an "incredibly" long time can remember all the "bitter" details!

Again - WELCOME BACK!!

Post a Comment

<< Home